“…pour your time and passion into what brings you the most joy, your mission in life.”
– Marie Kondo
The KonMari Method™ is a revolutionary professional organizing technique, made popular by Marie Kondo’s bestselling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. A combination of her first and last name, the method focuses on what you choose to keep (does it “spark joy?”), rather than what or how much you discard, donate, or sell.
Based on fundamental principles of respect, gratitude and joy, the organization process is rooted in Japanese values:
- Greeting your home to express tidying related intentions while being mindful and present
- Organizing comprehensively by category rather than room
- Putting your past in order while honoring the things that support the person you’re becoming
- Handling objects with respect throughout their life cycle and sending them off with a “thank you”
- Storing clothing using the signature KonMari Fold and objects vertically, on edge to relieve tension
- Surrounding yourself with only items that “spark joy” to prevent clutter rebound once and for all
Deemed “the most organized woman in the world,” Kondo shares, “when you use joy as your standard, you confront each of your things earnestly, and reflect on whether they make you happy in the present. Consequently, you will begin to realize what kinds of things you want to surround yourself with and what your idea of happiness really is.” With over six million copies sold worldwide in over 40 languages and a six month waiting list for her services, Marie Kondo is organizing the world with the help of certified KonMari tidying consultants across Japan and, more recently, the U.S.
Once your home is in order, the real transformation begins. No longer concerned with the external conditions, you shift the focus to other areas of your life in need of joy (career, health, finances, relationships, hobbies, spirituality, and community). The approach helps you see life through a lens of joy as you proactively move towards your true passion, purpose, and happiness.