Benefits associated with tidying up the KonMari way extend well beyond reducing the amount of time it takes for you to get out the door in the morning or the amount of clutter you stumble over on a daily basis. If we dig a bit deeper, there is a reason the KonMari Method™ is cloaked in “life-changing magic.” The action of tidying your home impacts every aspect of your life and how you prioritize your time and energy. Once you’ve handled the external clutter, the process often uncovers other areas of your life, emotions, or bad habits that need your time and attention. So the next time you view tidying as an “I’ll get to it some day,” non-mission critical activity, consider the following benefits of a tidy home:
Confronting an influx of stuff in your home that lacks joy or is unnecessary results in more conscious shopping/spending patterns and investment in fewer, better things moving forward.
Examples of how tidying can impact your finances:
- You invest in a new experience rather than accumulating more objects
- You return or sell items that do not spark joy in exchange for cash
Engaging all of the items in your home refreshes the air and promotes better cleaning, fitness and eating habits.
Examples of how tidying can impact your health:
- You seamlessly clean your home, including counter tops and work surfaces that are clutter free
- You efficiently prepare for workouts by creating a space that honors your workout attire or equipment
Addressing abandoned projects or unfinished business helps you uncover what you really want to do and who you really want to be.
Examples of how tidying can impact your career:
- You discover books or papers that support a new business direction that sparks more joy
- You are inspired to declutter your office and are more productive at work
Clearing the clutter helps you use your free time more intentionally in a space that nurtures and respects your passions and invites creativity.
Examples of how tidying can impact your hobbies:
- You turn a hobby into a career
- You have a clutter free work space dedicated to working on family art projects
Putting your past in order makes space for those who matter now and helps you attract new connections that support the person you are becoming.
Examples of how tidying can impact your relationships:
- You have more time to spend with those who matter in an environment that is comfortable and inspiring
- You’re living in a space that reflects the person you are becoming and you’ve made room for dating, working and building relationships/connections
Donating items to charity spreads joy to those in need and points your attention towards contributing to society and the world.
Examples of how tidying can impact your community:
- You contribute to the greater good by finding a new home for donated items and get insprired to volunteer your time to serve your favorite local charity
- You share your tidying testimony with a friend who is experiencing similar challenges
Evaluating, respecting and honoring the objects in your life leads to an enhanced understanding of your values and beliefs and a strong sense of connection.
Examples of how tidying can impact your spirituality:
- You understand your larger purpose
- You are present whether you’re folding your socks or spending time with your family and friends
How has KonMari impacted your life? What areas of your life need a bit more joy? Let’s chat.
Share your thoughts and take The Tidy Pledge here to receive more tidy tips for your home, mind, and life.
Latest posts by Kristyn Ivey (see all)
- An open letter to KonMari Consultant Trainees - October 12, 2017
- Consultants Share the Moment KonMari Changed Their Lives - July 5, 2017
- A Father Who Folds Leaves a Legacy of Joy - June 18, 2017